Jonathan lives in Surrey but was born in Wellsford, New Zealand in November 1983 where he spent the first years of his life on a dairy farm before his family moved to Sydney, Australia in 1986.
Although both his parents had been into horses, his mother competed to advanced level and his father did western/rodeo steer wrestling, campdrafting and raced and trained trotters, Jonathan never grew up around horses. Jonathan completed an apprenticeship as a bricklayer and only began riding at 18 before starting to event at the age of 20.
He spent 3 years working for Kevin Mcnab in Queensland, Australia where he rapidly progressed to competing at three-star level Eventing in less than two years to qualify to ride at four-star level. Jonathan then returned to Sydney for a year and set up his own business producing and competing horses.
Jonathan was then offered a job to ride for Frances Stead at the Clifton Eventers base in Muriwai, New Zealand in September 2007 and became their principal rider for 3 years. After the 2010 World Equestrian Games in Kentucky, Jonathan moved over to the UK to a yard in Dunsfold, Surrey to prepare for the 2012 Olympics.
- 2008 – 1st Richfields CCI***
- 2009 – 1st HOY CIC***
- 2009 and 2010 – Won ‘Eventer of the Year’ title at NZ Horse of the Year Show
- Kentucky WEG 2010 – 7th with Clifton Promise
- 2010 – 1st HOY CIC***
- June 2011 – Bramham International won CIC***, 1st on Clifton Lush
- July 2011 – Aachen CHIO World Equestrian Festival, Member of New Zealand Silver Medal winning team on Clifton Promise
- August 2011 – Gatcombe Open Championship: 3rd on Clifton Lush
- September 2011- Member of the winning New Zealand London 2012 Team qualifier at Blenheim Palace International Horse Trial, run as part of the CCI*** competition: 17th on Clifton Razz at his first CCI***
- September 2011 – Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials: 5th on Clifton Lush, 12th on Clifton Promise
- 2012 (April) – Finished sixth at Rolex Kentucky CCI**** on Clifton Promise(results).
- 2012 (July) – Team bronze medallist and placed 10th individually at the 2012 London Olympics on Clifton Promise(results: Team and Individual).
- 2012 (August) – Finished fifth on Clifton Lushat the Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials.
- 2012 (October) – Finished second at Les Étoiles de PauCCI**** on Clifton Promise. In the lead on their dressage score of 36.7 after the cross-country phase, they had one rail in the final show jumping phase.
- 2012 – Finished the year ranked fourth in the world in the FEI HSBC Rankings
- 2013 (May) – Won the Mitsubishi Motors Badminton Horse Trialson Clifton Promise, finishing on their dressage score of 39.7 penalties. Jock was the first Badminton debutant to win since fellow Kiwi Mark Todd in 1980. Jock also finished in 14th on Clifton Lush.
- 2013 (July) – Won British Eventing Open Championshipat Gatcombe Park on Clifton Lush, after leading the dressage and show jumping and finishing on a score of 41.3 penalties.
What Jock Has To Say about Equilibrium Products
“When looking for boots for my horses I like to find boots that are lightweight, breathable and go through the water well. They should cover all the spots that need to be protected without any unnecessary weight. With Tri-Zone boots, I like the fact that the protection is proven and tested.“
“I use the massage pad on all my horses at home and at competitions. The horses have a session at competitions before the dressage test and I find that they are more relaxed, soft and ready to work, cutting down on my warm up time. I haven’t come across a horse who doesn’t like it.”
“The Stretch & Flex Flatwork Wraps are a perfect fit for my horses. They are so soft and don’t rub their legs yet provide enough protection for me to use on my horses everyday.”
Watch the video:
To read more about Jock and keep up to date with his latest achievements see his website and facebook,