Equi-Chaps Close Contact Chaps
£43.99 – £54.99Save £11.00
Save time, maintain healthy skin and keep mud away with these turnout boots which help keep legs clean in the field.
Breathable turnout boots which are great to help protect the horses’ legs from mud, wet and cold in the field.
Close Contact Chaps:
- Offer maximum coverage, extending from below the knee/hock down to the coronet band
- Save precious time in the winter months with less cleaning
- Maintain healthy skin, providing a barrier from the winter elements
- Allow your horse to move freely in the field with their flexible, soft material with 4-way stretch
What inspired the Close Contact Turnout Boots?
We’ve seen what winter conditions can do to horses legs. One horse’s story stayed with us, where he physically couldn’t go out in the field because of the wet and mud and the effect it had on his legs. As we know – turnout is an important part of a horses’ routine for both their physical and mental wellbeing! The winter weather can be relentless, and therefore the Close Contact Turnout Boots were born. They are designed as a second skin on the horses’ leg while keeping them protected from the mud, wet and cold.
The design of the Close Contact Turnout Boots
What material is used in the Close Contact Boots?
These close-fitting turnout boots are made from perforated neoprene. This helps keep legs cool with their breathable material. They also feature a four way stretch, which is essential. As horses wear these boots in the field, there is a lot of movement involved. The boots are designed to stay in place but allow the horse to move freely too.
Why do the Close Contact Chaps fit so far down the leg?
For maximum coverage and protection from the elements, the Close Contact Chaps extend from below the knee/hock all the way down to the coronet band. This means the correct size is essential to ensure the entire lower leg is protected.
Do the Close Contact Turnout Boots also provide protection in the field?
The Close Contact Chaps do provide some protection towards brushing and overreach injuries, but as they are primarily designed to promote good skin health, the material is not too thick to ensure breathability.
If you are looking for protection during turnout, why not consider our Hardy Turnout Boots?
Who are the Close Contact Turnout Boots for?
These turnout boots are perfect for horse owners who would like to:
- Keep legs clean in the field
- Protect their horses’ legs against mud and wet in the field
- Offer gentle protection to their horses’ legs in the field with a breathable boot
- Save time in their winter routine
Please note, these boots are not suitable for horses with a neoprene allergy.
Caring for the Close Contact Turnout Chaps:
The cleaner you can keep these chaps when placing them onto your horses’ legs, the better! Machine washable at 30 degrees, and quick to dry means they are easy to care for. However, for day to day, giving them a quick wash off once your horse has come in is best practice if they are particularly muddy. While they do dry quickly, having a second set on standby can help if the weather is particularly bad, cold and wet!
|Point||Taken from||XS Small Pony 12.2hh-13.3hh||S Slim Fit Fine Pony 13.3hh-14.2hh||S Pony 13.3hh-14.2hh||M Slim Fit Fine Large Pony/Horse (TB Types) 14.2hh-16hh||M Large Pony/Horse 14.2hh-16hh||MW Cob/Chunky Horse 14.2hh-16hh||L Horse 16hh-16.3hh||XL Large Horse 16.3hh+|
|A||Canon bone width (cm)||16-18||17-19||18-20||19-21||20-22||22-24||22-24||24-26|
|B||Length of wrap front seam (cm)||33||37||37||38||38||39.5||40||42|
|Taken from||Canon bone width (cm)|
|XS Small Pony 12.2hh-13.3hh||16-18|
|S Slim Fit Fine Pony 13.3hh-14.2hh||17-19|
|S Pony 13.3hh-14.2hh||18-20|
|M Slim Fit Fine Large Pony/Horse (TB Types) 14.2hh-16hh||19-21|
|M Large Pony/Horse 14.2hh-16hh||20-22|
|MW Cob/Chunky Horse 14.2hh-16hh||22-24|
|L Horse 16hh-16.3hh||22-24|
|XL Large Horse 16.3hh+||24-26|
|Taken from||Length of wrap front seam (cm)|
|XS Small Pony 12.2hh-13.3hh||33|
|S Slim Fit Fine Pony 13.3hh-14.2hh||37|
|S Pony 13.3hh-14.2hh||37|
|M Slim Fit Fine Large Pony/Horse (TB Types) 14.2hh-16hh||38|
|M Large Pony/Horse 14.2hh-16hh||38|
|MW Cob/Chunky Horse 14.2hh-16hh||39.5|
|L Horse 16hh-16.3hh||40|
|XL Large Horse 16.3hh+||42|
The Close Contact Chaps are designed primarily as a turn-out chap and can be left on for up to 12 hours. If they are left on longer, it is ideal to give the horses’ legs a quick ‘breather’ and reset the chaps on the leg.
The only Equi-Chaps you can wear for long periods in the stable are the Stable Chaps, we don’t recommend using the Close Contact Chaps or Hardy Chaps in the stable.
The Close Contact Chaps can be machine washed. We recommend a cool wash using a non-biological washing powder. It is advisable to close all the velcro fastenings before washing. Do not tumble dry.
The Stable Chaps can be put on wet legs as they can help dry the legs, plus they are 100% breathable. We don’t advise putting the Close Contact Chaps or the Hardy Chaps on wet legs.
Yes it is possible to ride in either but as with all leg protection you must make sure it is fits well and is fitted properly before mounting up. We do however offer other boots and wraps specifically designed for ridden work which will be better suited. We do make boots in the Tri-Zone range specifically for jumping and in the Stretch & Flex range for mainly flatwork and some jumping.
The Close Contact Chaps provide a greater level of support to the horse’s legs than the Hardy Chaps due to the stretchy nature of the fabric. The Close Contact Chaps are designed to fit snugly, whereas the Hardy Chaps fit more loosely and do not have any stretch at all.
Yes but you need to be careful on the size selection as you may need a bigger size than the leg measurement suggests. If you are unsure of sizing check them on clean dry legs to ensure you can exchange them if necessary. Also check out the Hardy Chaps as they are quite generous around the pastern and fetlock area.
If there is an open wound, we would not recommend using the Equi-Chaps. If your horse has a strain or tendon injury and you need something for turning out, we would recommend the Equi-Chap Close Contact Chaps as these will provide more support. Stable Chaps don’t provide the support you are after so best to follow the advice of your vet for box rest or stable time.
Yes the whole range, Close Contact Chaps, Stable Chaps and Hardy Chaps come in pairs.
Delivery, returns, exchanges and guarantee
Delivery charges are calculated based on the location of delivery, weight, and value of the order. Standard charges are:
For parcels up to 20kg: UK Delivery
- Economy 4-6 Working Days – £3.95 or FREE for orders over £25 (UK Mainland only. Excludes Highlands, Northern Ireland, and Islands)
- Next Working Day Delivery, Orders placed before 2pm – £5.95 (UK Mainland only. Excludes Highlands, Northern Ireland, and Islands)
- For orders over £99 – Free Next Day Delivery
- Scottish Highland & Islands Royal Mail 2nd Class Signed For. For orders up to 2kg – £3.95 (weight variable)
- Scottish Highlands & Islands Standard 4-6 Working Day Delivery for orders up to £75 – £9.95 (weight variable)
- Scottish Highlands & Islands Standard 4-6 Working Day Delivery for orders over £75 – £7.95 (weight variable)
We hope that you are happy with your products, but if you aren’t, we do understand that sometimes when buying online that items may not be as expected, you may need a different size or you might have just changed your mind!
Our policy lasts 30 days. If you are unhappy with your purchase, you may return or change your product without reason within 30 days of the delivery of the goods. This policy does not affect your statutory rights.
In order to receive a refund/exchange:
• your item must be clean, unused and in the same condition that you received it.
• your item must be in its original packaging.
• your item must be returned to us within 30 days from receipt of your order*.
• you must fill out the online returns form before returning your item, and include your name, order number and address inside your return package.
All Equilibrium Products are covered under a one year guarantee, except for Equilibrium Massage products which are guaranteed for 2 years. The guarantee is valid with proof of purchase, either email, card receipt or shop receipt, from the date of purchase, providing the product is used and cared for in accordance with instructions. The guarantee is not transferable to another person.
If you find the product faulty during the guarantee period, and you have bought direct from Equilibrium Products please contact us, we will be more than happy to arrange a refund or replacement. If you have bought your product elsewhere please contact the company you purchased it from.
The following are specifically excluded from the terms and condition of the guarantee:
- Damage caused by misuse, accident, negligence or improper handling of the product or not used in accordance with instructions
- Normal wear and tear.
- Any modification made by the purchaser to the product or any repairs other than by an authorised agent.
- Damage resulting from incorrect maintenance according to the instructions of use (e.g. stored in damp/wet conditions, washed on too hot a wash).
- The guarantee is only valid if the correct Equilibrium Therapy Multi Plug Charger and correct Equilibrium Therapy Battery are used, the mains charger attachment appropriate to the country of use must be used. The guarantee is invalid if used with an adapter.
- Damage caused due to the use of the product on voltage other than that stamped on the product.
You might also like...
Small Black Duffle BagView product
Small Black Duffle Bag
Small duffle bag, ideal for storing boots, wraps etc.
Equi-Chaps Stable Chaps£34.99 View product
Equi-Chaps Stable Chaps
A quick alternative to bandages, these stable boots are designed…
Skin Soother£2.99 – £10.99 View product
Soothe and calm skin irritations naturally. Perfect for horses prone…
Equi-Chaps Hardy Chaps£44.99 View product
Equi-Chaps Hardy Chaps
Tough turnout protection for field hooligans for the entire lower…