Would you know when to use Massage Therapy or Magnetic Therapy on your horse or both?
Animal physiotherapy including Massage and Magnetic therapies has become increasingly popular for the treatment and maintenance of horses in recent years, but do we really know which treatment or product is best suited to use on our horses and when?
Encourages blood flow and increases cellular activity in the body however, magnets in themselves, do not heal. When a powerful magnet is placed on the body, cellular activity is increased, and this in turn increases the rate at which cells regenerate and repair.
The Benefits Magnetic Therapy
Magnetic therapy can help increase the rate of healing when managing inflammation, swelling, stiffness, muscle cramps and the symptoms of arthritis. Using magnetic therapy can help the horse recover more quickly from injury or relieve symptoms of a chronic condition. It is a convenient way to treat horses without hands-on contact.
When should I be using Magnetic Therapy?
Magnetic therapy works over a period of time so it is best worn overnight or during the day in the stable. The Magnetic Therapy Back and Quarters Pad is suitable for horses or ponies that;
- Suffer with a cold back
- Stiff veteran horses or horses standing in for long periods of time
- Are in high levels of work to encourage repair
- Help relieve stiffness in the pelvic limb
- Suffer with a sore back from ill-fitting saddle
- All horses during cold weather to prevent stiffness
- Pre and post op for Kissing Spine
- Horses with chronic back conditions
- That are prone to tying-up
Not sure where to place your Magnets? Take a look at our handy article on the best area to place them for your horse.
- Suffer with arthritis
- Get fluid filled legs in the stable
- Are recovering from tendon problems, splints, navicular, bone chips and general knocks and bumps
- Stand in for long periods of time
- High levels of work to encourage repair
Equilibrium Therapy Magnetic Back and Quarters Pad is designed to promote circulation to help relieve stiffness, muscle soreness and increase the rate of healing in horses’ backs. Using clinical grade Vitaflex° removable magnets that can be positioned exactly where needed. Easy to use, washable and made to fit a wide range of horses and ponies.
Equilibrium Therapy Magnetic Chaps are soft and comfortable magnetic boots designed to be worn in the stable to promote circulation and help increase the rate of healing in horse’s legs. Using clinical grade Vitaflex° removable magnets that can be positioned exactly where needed.Washable and easy to wear. Sizes: small to extra large.
Equilibrium Therapy Hind and Hock Magnetic Chaps are specifically designed to allow Vitaflex® magnets to be placed directly at the lower part of the hock joint – the common location for hock arthritis. Providing cover from hock to heel, the Hind & Hock Magnetic Chaps are ideal for horses that suffer with arthritis of the hock, or are prone to fluid filled legs in the stable. Sizes: Medium, Large.
Equilibrium Therapy Magnetic Back and Quarters Pad is designed to promote circulation to help relieve stiffness, muscle soreness and increase the rate of healing in horses’ backs. Magnetic Therapy is recommended for use as part of a back maintenance programme.
Essentially the manipulation of soft tissues in the body, massage therapy has been noted to aid the prevention of injury, recovery from fatigue, relaxation and increasing mobility. (Hemmings, 2001). Performance depends on freedom of movement, full flexibility and an absence of musculoskeletal pain, all of which can improve with massage (Gellman, 1998). Traditionally massage methods have been manual but with recent advances in technology, electrical modalities have been introduced.
The Benefits Massage Therapy
Massage therapy has been shown to improve flexibility and promote relaxation by lowering horse’s heart rates. Tension is often one of the most common reasons for poor performance in horses and by increasing relaxation and improving back flexibility; the negative effects of tension can be reduced. Like us, most horses can benefit from a massage session but maintaining a healthy back through massage can help prevent performance inhibitors such as stiffness, hollowness, shortened stride length, or in more serious cases napping, bucking and rearing.
Massage therapy stimulates blood flow to the area treated and has a similar effect to the tissue as heat does ie. promoting vasodilatation. Vasodilatation increases blood flow; bringing with it increased oxygen and nutrient supply to the muscle and after exercise this can help with the removal of toxins such as lactic acid.
When to use Massage Therapy
- For horses on box rest to promote blood flow
- After exercise to help with toxin removal
- Before exercise as part of warm up
- At a show to help recover from travelling
- On your horses day off as part of a maintenance programme
- To help alleviate back problems
- Anytime as a rewarding treatment
The Equilibrium Therapy Massage Pad is designed to offer effective, affordable and easy to use massage therapy. The pad works by stimulating the muscles on the horse’s back, helping to increase back flexibility and promote relaxation. Studies have shown that regular use of the Equilibrium Massage Pad increased back flexibility on average by 46%. One size fits all horses and ponies.
The Equilibrium Therapy Massage Mitt is an easy to use portable hand-held massage mitt for use on large muscle groups in the back, neck, quarters and hamstrings, helping to promote relaxation, improve flexibility and improve muscle condition.
When should Massage and Magnetic Therapies be combined?
- To help to maintain a healthy back.
- For horses on box rest – use the Magnetic Back Pad overnight and a give a relaxing Massage session once a day
- Competition horses in regular work – use the Massage Pad before and after exercise and the Magnetic Back Pad overnight in the stable.
- For older horses still in work – give a Massage session before exercise and use the Magnetic Back Pad overnight.
- For horses travelling long distances, the Magnetic Back Pad will improve circulation during travelling. Use the Massage Pad to alleviate stiffness before coming off the lorry or trailer.
- For horses recovering from Kissing Spine – the Magnetic Back Pad will help increase the rate of healing and the Massage Pad encourage flexibility.
- For horses returning to work after periods of rest – a combination of Massage and Magnetic Therapy will help increase cellular activity and increase suppleness
- For ex-racehorses in retraining – use a combination of Massage and Magnetic therapies as horses start to recruit different muscles in new work
- For horses in winter, prone to cold backs or just feel the cold. Use the Magnetic Back Pad under a stable rug to warm the back and quarters and treat to a Massage session each day.
If a horse is displaying signs of more serious back pain it is advisable to consult your vet and physiotherapist before using any additional therapy products. Often they can then be used as part of a rehabilitation programme and then for ongoing maintenance as advised