One of the most successful British riders of all time – Born in 1969 and having ridden from a young age, William started eventing at the age of 15. Encouraged by his parents, both of whom completed Badminton and Burghley, he represented Britain throughout his teens, winning individual Silver at the Junior Europeans in 1987, Young Rider Team Gold medals in successive European Championships in 1988 and 1989 and completing Badminton himself at the age of 20. His first Burghley win five years later established him as a regular on the senior British Team and guaranteed him a ticket to the Atlanta Olympics in 1996.
William was the first British rider to become eventing’s World No 1, a distinction he achieved in 2002 and again in 2009 & 2010. He has represented his country consistently over the past 15 years, winning team Silver at the 2012 London Olympics, team Silver at the 2004 Athens Olympics, team Bronze at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, individual Bronze at the 2014 World Equestrian Games in Normandy, team Gold and individual Silver at the 2010 World Equestrian Games in Kentucky, team Silver at the 2006 World Equestrian Games in Aachen and team Bronze at the 2002 World Equestrian Games in Jerez. He has won seven team Gold medals at the European Championships and has been the British No 1 eleven times.
- The only rider to have won five out of the six CCI****’s worldwide having won:
- Burghley (1994 – Chaka, 2002 –Highland Lad, 2005 – Ballincoola, 2007 – Parkmore Ed, 2008 – Tamarillo, 2011 – Parklane Hawk)
- Badminton (2004 – Tamarillo)
- Luhmuhlen (2008 – Macchiato)
- Rolex Kentucky (2010 – Cool Mountain, 2012 – Parklane Hawk, 2014 – Bay My Hero)
- Pau (2011 – Oslo, 2013 – Seacookie)
- He has won the HSBC FEI Classics, a series linking the top six Three-Day Events in the world, three times (2008, 2010 & 2012) and finished second in 2011.
- Individual Bronze at the European Championships in Malmo 2013 on Chilli Morning.
- In 2011 William became the first rider to win a record six Burghley titles (on six different horses)
- One of the first riders to ever win a CCI*, CCI** and CCI*** at the same event on the same day – a feat acheived at Tattersalls, Ireland.
- William has won an unprecedented 11 CCI****’s, 50 CCI three-day events and 21 CIC one-day events.
What William Has To Say about Equilibrium Products
“Using boots on my horses which address the health issues of leg protection is important to me. The Impact Sports boot is a lightweight, protective boot that allows my horses’ legs to cool naturally and won’t hold water across country.”
To read more about William and keep up to date with his latest achievements see his website and British Eventing page,